Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires Series #5)

Drink Deep - Chloe Neill **NO SPOILERS for this book, but spoiler for previous book.***Where to start? Well, I'm 5 books in and I'm still hot & cold about this series. I'm not sure why I like it, as the happenings are predictable and the characters are, to put it plainly, corny. I won't spoil this or give away too much of the plot, but suffice it to say that something is askew in Chicago and Merit is convinced it's caused by sups. She pretty much spends the duration of the book running around town confronting whomever could be responsible. It gets tedious. Merit also spends a lot of time grieving her fallen "hero", who, let's be honest, was a wishy-washy asshole. What's to grieve, say I, but grieve she does. This book was just largely boring. I'd like to take a moment to point out, as I have in a previous review, that the author still has a massive literary hard-on for the word "drama". Never have I seen an author use this word to death as Neill does. Every character uses and overuses it. Guards use it, the mayor uses it, other sups use it, MASTER VAMPS use it. Really? I had eye strain from the consequent eye rolling I experienced every time someone said "drama". Now let's talk about Merit. How many people need to talk down to her before she stands up for herself?! How many times will she turn the other cheek? I don't see her as being strong of character anymore. She has the same song & dance about how everything "stings", but she keeps letting people step all over her. Sure, she can't beat everyone up that belittles her, but grow some balls Sentinel! The ending pissed me off. While I will give Neill points for taking a chance, I don't like when rules are bent to allow for ridiculous plot lines. Why do I read this series if I have so many strikes against it? I don't know!! It seems to be just entertaining enough to keep me reading. Believe it or not, I'll be reading the next one. Guess I like a little vamp drama in my life - even corny drama..